Saturday 2 November 2019

Warrior Nun: Dora #1 (Avatar)


WARRIOR NUN DORA #1 REGULAR

Warrior Nun: Dora #1 (Avatar)

Pat Shand (w) Daniel Gate (a)

When I returned to collecting comics at the end of the nineties one of the titles that attracted me was Areala : Warrior Nun an American Manga series published by Antarctic Press. It was a delightful and fun series that I ended up not only ordering every month that it came out but avidly purchased every back issue, trade paperback and tie in I could find. I even started collecting action figures as a result of the character.



Sadly over the years like so many comics her popularity waned and eventually the comic ended it's days as a black & white comic which being a Brit didn't matter to me. I've always like the format anyway. Of course all good things come to an end and the adventures of Areala and her cohorts fighting demons, Nazi's and evil in general came to en end.



It's been years since her last appearance and my copies are now buried in a box somewhere. One day I'll get someone to do some lifting for me and dig them out.

Now fast forward to today........

Image result for Previews Warrior Nun Dora

Avatar press have picked up the franchise and started a new series with a new Warrior Nun, and this far more adult story was a pleasure to read as Dora a stroppy lesbian teenager gets sent to a convent for bad behaviour by her God-fearing parents.

Dora hates that and misbehaves until one day strange sounds come from part of the convent which Dora decides to explore. The world of the Warrior Nuns is re-introduced.

Oh and a rather nasty necromancer is wandering around in the background.

This story gets a 5 Star Rating from me and there's more...

This oversized edition contains no less than three stories from Areala the original Warrior Nun.

If you have never picked up this series before then this is a great place to start.

And it's coming soon to you on Netflix!

Image result for Previews Warrior Nun Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment