Saturday 5 December 2015

Super DC (1969)



As a youngster I became a big fan of DC comics which in those days were widely available in newsagents across the country. Superman, Batman, the Justice League and the Legion of Superheroes all ranked amongst my favourite characters.

These 12 cent imports cost 1/- which was expensive in comparison to British comics which cost about half the price.Hence the decision of DC to make a foray into the world of British comics publishing was more than welcome.

Super DC was launched after the collapse of Power Comics which had featured Marvel Comics superheroes and had a similar format to Fantastic and Terrific. The main difference being that DC's title featured complete stories reformatted for larger pages in black and white.

 

As would be expected Super DC featured Superman and his friends Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen along with Superboy. Batman filled the remaining pages. Most of these stories were from an earlier period in comics "silver age" and with reading habits being changed by Marvel may not have had the same appeal. Certainly the comic didn't last long, just 14 issues plus if I recall correctly a "special".

One of the other reasons this comic may have failed was it's price. Double that of it's British rivals and competing with itself as DC advertised and promoted the imports which were also eagerly grabbed by hardcore DC fans such as myself.

As far as I can remember I only purchased a couple of these which now seem quite quaint when compared to contemporary British comics such as Smash! published by IPC/Fleetway.



I've been trying to get hold of copies for a while and two (issues 5 & 6) turned up at my local comic shop in excellent condition.

A fine addition to anyone's collection if you can find them.

2 comments:

  1. We have 2 number 1 issues a number 5 and 6 all in very good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a no.5, email me if interested, very good condition.

    ReplyDelete