Saturday 25 April 2020

Comic Scene #13 Eagle/Dan Dare Special








































The latest issue of the British comics journal Comic Scene is currently available and only via post due to the current crisis. Given this was a special edition devoted to the famous boys comic The Eagle and it's greatest creation Dan Dare I decided to order a copy.

When Comic Scene was launched I was enthusiastic about this project especially when with it's second volume it got distributed in WH Smiths and other outlets. It gave an opportunity for fans of old British comics and the comic scene in general in the country it's own journal.

However after the first couple of issues I found my local WH Smiths didn't ever seem to have a copy and only by chance did I see a copy hidden at the back of a floor based rack of UK Marvel comics did I buy one a couple of months ago at Victoria Station. I was not impressed by the content.Far too many "Indy" comic strips and with one exception dreadful.

So it was with some trepidation I awaited the arrival of this issue and I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised. It was what it said on the cover even if there were still a couple too many dreadful strips in the issue. I see the attraction of Rok of the Reds but the rest? Space that could have been devoted to the other strips in the Eagle as this was the comics 70th anniversary.



Oddly (though a good article) the issue starts with a review of the ever controversial Dan Dare strip from 2000AD which Rebellion released as two collected hardback editions some time back and are worth collecting and reading even if the story does not finis. Problem with this version  is that besides the name  the 2000AD version whilst entertaining is nothing like the Dare I grew up with! Oh the Mekon is around and all that. Best seen as an "alternate universe or timelineline version methinks!!

 

There's also coverage of the odd and very political version of Dare from Revolver by Grant Morrison. I only have one issue of the comic which I ignored like so many of these alternative comics back in the eighties and nineties. Far too pretentious and trendy for my liking. Dropped out the hobby for most of the nineties.


Dan Dare: Operation Saturn Chapter 1

You'll also find coverage of the Dan Dare audios from Big Finish Productions. I have one of these and they are worth a listen as is their Doctor Who range which I collect avidly but I digress. There's also a good section on Spaceship Away, a fanzine which publishes new old style adventures of our hero. I have a few of these and will be reviewing the 50th issue when it arrives.

Worth picking up and contains the usual reviews of British Indy's some of which are good such as the 2000AD tribute comics Zarjaz (see previous post), Dogbreath devoted to Johnny Alpha which I have yet to review and Sector 13 from Northern Irelend which I have yet to see.

 

Could have done with a look at The Eagle in depth but still overall worth buying. I'll look out for the next one (due in June) but if the editors are reading this, please cut back on those comic strips.
More articles please.

Comic Scene can be obtained via: getmycomics.com/ComicScene

Dan Dare Audio via: www.bigfinish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment