Tuesday 21 September 2021

Doctor Who: The Eleven (Audio Box Set/Big Finish)

 
















The Eleven is one of the more interesting of The Master's incarnations or regeneration's however you choose to view these. All of these personalities being conscious within one body is bound to be entertaining. I first came across The Eleven in a one of Sylvester McCoy's outings Dark Universe last year and was impressed not just with the story (one of Big Finish's best) but the concept of the multi-layered consciousness of the Master. 

So buying my first of the new more expensive box sets that have sadly replaced the monthly adventures range would seem a "no brainer". The Doctor is ambushed in the Void and ends up on the world of Malaruss where the population uniquely have developed dual-minds. The Eleven and his murderous wife (she wiped out her home planet) are making mischief as usual. The first part of this three-parter is a standard but entertaining Doctor who adventure.

Then we come to CD 2 one of the reasons my review of this audio adventure is out later. The Murder of Oliver Akkron is one of the most boring and tedious 70 odd minutes I have been forced to listen to since I started collecting these Doctor Who CD's. I just kept falling asleep......

Once this is over you then return to what should have simply been the second CD with Elevation for the final and cracking ending to this story.

Properly edited this could have been simply a double CD so yes I feel a bit cheated by the padding on the overlong and boring second story. I hope this is not going to be typical of future releases because I am not impressed. 

My message to Big Finish: Bring back the Monthly Adventures.

Rating: 2.5 Stars

This is a better buy and Dark Universe gets a 5 Star Plus rating. 




No comments:

Post a Comment