Monday 8 June 2020

The Spencer Nero Club: Folklore and Fire #1 (Paragon)





































 
 
"Meet Gypsum, Smallpiece, Venables and Tookey – pupils at the increasingly-odd institution known as Blackabbots School. Together, they are The Spencer Nero Club – hardcore fans of 1930s Britain’s greatest pulp hero. "

There was a time when I saw a small press title I'd just turn my nose up and not even bother to have a look. I even used to wonder why some blogs raved so much about these titles  and ignored the comics from the big publishers. Readers of this blog will now see my views have changed somewhat.

Over the past year or so and particularly around the lock-down I have spent a lot of time reading and reviewing small press titles. Still a couple of things I haven't gotten around to posting yet but along with British reprints and revivals this is where my current interest lies.

That's not to say I've given up on the US publishers I will continue reading these at my leisure.

The Spencer Nero Club  is a very weird comic and deliberately so. Even the author admits he like writing weird things. Good for him as this one off comic is very entertaining. With suitable art for the subject matter from Scott Twells we are taken back to 1938 to meet a bunch of schoolboys who are fans of a British hero, Spencer Nero.

The club has some of the artefacts from Spencer Nero's adventures and seeks to garner asmuch knowledge of their hero like every nerd does. This time they themselves are not just thrown into a mystery but shock, horror but find there are girls that share the same interest!

Western civilisation will never be the same as their oddly robotic Headmaster bans them from visiting the local village which has it turns out strangely disappeared. The boys plus one girl head off to solve the mystery.

I really enjoyed this comic and look forward to more. I gather there are Spencer Nero books out there. Maybe one day..

Rating: Five Stars (Highly Recommended)

Grab a copy here: www.comicsy.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment