Saturday 2 March 2019

Captain Action #1 (DC/1968)



Captain Action #1 (DC)

Jim Shooter (w) Wally Wood (a)

Captain Action was one of the first toys that I know of to get his won comic. GI Joe preceded him in Showcase. (Someone's bound to write in and point out some comic I wasn't aware of so please do!) I only ever saw ads for this when I was a kid and to be frank wasn't interested so whether I ever saw a copy in the newsagents is long forgotten. 

Image result for captain action figure
Photo: www.toysyouhad.com/Captainaction.htm (a site well worth visiting!)

I picked this up on a whim whilst skimming through some comics randomly as I do when looking for something to read and saw my local shop had the full run. Since the first issue wasn't excessive in price I thought it was time to give it a try.

There's certainly two big names involved with this book, Jim Shooter who later gained fame with Marvel and the great artist Wally Wood. It's not a bad story outlining Captain Action's origin. Two archaeologists Clive Arno and Krellick find some coins in a set of ruins from various ancient cultures from around the world, An anomaly indeed. One for the alternative history and alien intervention theorists!

These coins take the duo back to the past where we find aliens known to early man in the guises of various pantheons of gods as Odin, Zeus and all the rest imbue these coins with their power for someone worthy to find. Magic or science Clive soon discovers the power these coins can give him. Meanwhile his companion turns evil...you know the drill.

Captain Action is born into the main DC universe as Superman has a cameo appearance though just gets brushed aside as two Captain Actions clash, the other being the evil Krellick in disguise.

The action continues into the next issue. Maybe one day I'll follow this purchase up, but not for now.

Captain Action Comics 

It seems the Captain was revived by Moonstone in 2008 and in 2013 by Dynamite both of which passed me by without notice.

Here's a gallery of the other four issues published by DC



 

No comments:

Post a Comment