Sunday 31 March 2019

Silver Surfer #116 (Marvel /1996)



Silver Surfer #116 (Marvel)

George Perez (w) Tom Grindberg (a)

Having picked up read and quite enjoyed Silver Surfer #100 in this second and longest running series I thought I'd try another whilst randomly picking up stuff to read. So the cover of #116 caught my attention. Ooh I thought a "Surfer Corps". Boy how wrong I was!

Before I tackle this strange story that I cannot make my mind up about I need to point out that I stopped collecting and reading comics between sometime in 1989 and 1998 so I missed the boom and collapse of the industry that happened in between. 

Over the years  when I got back into the hobby I picked up a lot of Image/Chaos stuff and was far from overwhelmed though Chastity did catch my attention and Supreme had his moments, especially the Alan Moore issues.

However let's face it there was a hell a lot of overblown over-hyped crap out there and although I picked up some DC events series from the period overall I have tended to avoid this period even when it comes to Marvel.....

Now we all make mistakes and so did George Perez one of my favourite all time artists and writers. This story was utter crap. Bits of the Surfer sold off all over the place effecting various aliens and an atrocious pleasure planet where all this seems to stem from.  I am so not buying any more of this story line and I'm a big fan of the character.

Avoid.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment