Saturday 6 April 2019

Web of Horror #1 (Major/1969)



Web of Horror #1 (Major Magazines)

Various (w) & (a)

With the success of Warren's line of comics it's hardly surprising that other publishers jumped on the bandwagon. Most didn't last though Skywald gave it a good try until squeezed off the shelves by Marvel in the seventies. Major magazines published three issues of Web of Horror in 1969/70. A fourth was prepared but never saw the light of day.

I was lucky enough to pick up the first issue which was on the edge of my now limited budget but I wanted as part of my growing collection of black & white horror mags. I also have #3 which I obtained a while back at a much cheaper price! Now I need to look out for number two!

If you see a copy of this comic it's worth collecting for two reasons. Firstly I thought it was a good read. Plenty of nice short stories to give one nightmares and secondly it apparently contains Bernie Wrightson's first published work.

The story The Game That Plays You is written by Dick Kenson and illustrated by Bernie Wrightson and shows what happens when someone rips off some one else's ideas. Don't lose your head reading this boys and girls....

There a re seven stories in this issue with only one that didn't make the grade for me, but hey 6/7 in an anthology title is pretty good going. Admit it guys there have been some duds out ther over the years but this ain't one of them.

I think the contention for best feature goes between Wrightson's effort and The Skin Eaters about the attempt by a cavemen to save his family....it has a wee twist that will horrify!

 

1 comment:

  1. Whatever happened to the collection of these issues plus the unpublished fourth issue that was supposed to come out?

    ReplyDelete