Monday 13 January 2020

Previews Picks - January 2020




The first Previews Catalogue for the new year is here and in what will be a monthly feature are my picks. First up is DC with Strange Adventures a twelve issue mini-series featuring Adam Strange a minor character but one of my favourites since I first came across him in the Silver Age.

Is he a hero or war criminal? I suppose that depends on which side of the war one is on, but a fair question. Hopefully this will be a worthwhile read which will expand how we see Adam Strange in the cosmic nature of the DC Universe.

The other books on my list are Legion of Super-heroes #5, Superman #21 and John Constantine: Hellblazer #5.

Next up is Marvel who at least seem to have cut back on their Conan output at last. Less is more. I have a couple of Age of Conan mini-series I never got around to reading. Other than Conan the Barbarian #14, Fantastic Four #20 is on my pull list as is a new Spider-Woman comic.

SPIDER-WOMAN #1 YOON CLASSIC CVR


I went off Marvel big time after Secret Invasion finding out that some of the characters I'd been following were in fact Skrulls. What was I reading and more to the point what was Marvel thinking?

However I've always like Jessica Drew and the fact she's nothing to do with Spider-Man is a bonus. Certainly worth a dip!

Next up is Dark Horse. I rarely order stuff from them these days. Having a limited budget these days is a major part of the problem but this limited series, Starship Down caught my eye:

STARSHIP DOWN #1 (OF 4)

The discovery of a spaceship that's been buried for thousands of years in the Siberian ice is causing meddling from both the Russian Government..... and the Vatican? How will this affect society? Sounds thoughtful.

KILLING RED SONJA #1 CVR A WARD

Another title featuring Red Sonja from Dynamite that promises to be an important event in our heroines life. Don't all these promotions say the same but I'm a big fan so it get's added to my Dynamite pile which includes Red Sonja #14, Vampirella #9, Red Sonja/Vampirella #7, Red Sonja& Vampirella meet Betty & Veronica #10, Red Sonja: Age of Chaos #3 and Vengeance of Vampirella #6. Phew!










































New on the scene is AWA Studios and they've a new six issue mini-series The Resistance which is a J. Michael Stracynski production with Mike Deodato Jr on art duties. This is an introduction to a new super-hero universe but there's been a global disaster and thousands of people have developed super-powers. Rising Stars anyone? Still worth a look.

CREEPS #24 (MR)


The latest issue of The Creeps is out in March.  Horror stories are better presented in glorious black & white. They've announced a second title which I'll be covering in a separate post so watch this space! Oh and order this. Think the old Warren Comics line and you'll get the picture!

Just three other comics on my list this month. Archie #712 (with Katy Keene), Star Trek: Year Five #12 from IDW and Twin Worlds #3 from Action Lab Danger Zone which is a cross between fantasy Tolkien style and science fiction in the Star Wars fashion. The first issue has yet to arrive so I'll be sure to post a review.

So until next month keep the faith true believers. There's good comics out there!

ARCHIE #712 (ARCHIE & KATY KEENE PT 3) CVR A BRAGA STAR TREK YEAR FIVE #12 CVR A THOMPSON

TWIN WORLDS #3

No comments:

Post a Comment