Monday 14 December 2020

My last Diamond delivery


 






After all my years of collecting American comics and over the last two decades or so more using Previews the catalogue of Diamond Distributors I received a sad message from my local comic shop who have ended stocking new comics:

We're sending out the last package of the comics on your standing order this coming Wednesday 16th.

Anything you've ordered that you've not received has either been cancelled by the publisher or not supplied by Diamond. This should only be a handful of items at worst.

Other than some back issues of Metal Men and The Phantom Stranger I ordered separately I don't know what's in the package and look forward to the final surprise when it arrives hopefully before Christmas (not their fault the post has gone haywire round here I only got 2000AD dated 25th November this morning!)

If I buy any more US comics this side of getting the Covid Vaccination it'll be in trade paperback or hardback edition and have already received The Three Jokers Hardback via Amazon.

Of course this coincides with my disillusionment with DC whose "Future Whatever" line is of no interest to me whatsoever given their current continuity is in such a mess with classic characters abused by poor writing and far too many un-affordable cross-overs. The latter drove me away from Marvel years back.

I grew up in the sixties reading the adventures of Superman, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Superboy, Batman, the Justice League and the Legion with some Challengers of the Unknown, Spectre and Green Lantern thrown in.

These characters both entertained and inspired a young lad and though times change until the New 52 the basics at least remained. Life is short now as I enter old age with poor health and I will relive those memories reading old comics. 

I hope DC realise what they have done including abandoning their British readers and remember these characters are heroes, maybe a little flawed as are we all but should be accessible for both young and old in a world we can all at least recognise. 

Maybe Superboy Prime had a point................just saying!

Meanwhile as long as funds allow I will continue to buy new (mainly) British comics and support Kickstarter projects where I can. 

And I have a substantial collection of old DC, Marvel and other comics that I'll review from time to time so don't go away. I have some new stuff that I have yet to read this blog slightly expanded to include other science fiction and fantasy films, audio and TV (especially Doctor Who you will have noticed) will continue.

3 comments:

  1. Love the fact you bought Phantom Stranger issues. Terribly under appreciated character. What bunch did you pick up? IMO, some of the best ones are the Second Series roughly 10-29, and DeMatteis’s stories, fourth series, around no. 6 to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered 4 Metal Men issues so was only able to add one Phantom Stranger issue which I will review after it arrives. I have a few already and may pick up more in the future. I do like the character and the seventies series is the best use DC ever made of him.

      Delete
  2. I pretty much gave up on new comics about ten years ago barring the odd title so I look forward to any reviews of older comics.

    ReplyDelete