Tuesday 2 November 2021

Ant #1 (Image Comics)

 























A little later than expected but the first issue of the re-launched Ant series is here and under new ownership with writer Eric Larsen creator of Savage Dragon. This will be the fourth attempt to give life to a character originally created by Mario Gully when he was in prison for robbery.
























The first four issue series was published by Arcana Studios way back in 2004. I'm not quite sure why I chose to pick up this small press series but I was glad I did since the imaginary super-hero in a young girls mind provided an interesting back story for a "real" series which then appeared as an on-going series from Image comics. It lasted 11 issues and just petered out which was a shame but then lots of characters don't always make it. 
























I also discovered (which will teach me for not paying attention) that Eric Larsen published the 12th and final part of the old series back in June. Guess I'll have to try and track down a copy as it's the only Ant comic I don't have!

Ant was just one of several characters I liked and have disappeared over the years. It's just the nature of comic book publishing. However Ant suddenly reappeared for a new series from Big City comics but that more "mature readers" effort was dropped after just three editions.

























Mario Gully sold the rights for Ant to Eric Larsen and here we are with a fourth and I hope more successful attempt to give this character an outing. The hero is a young black girl Hannah Washington. This first issue presents her origin story and shows a lot of promise for the future. I certainly wish Eric luck with this.

Rating: 5 Stars (Recommended)

No comments:

Post a Comment