Wednesday 24 June 2020

New Comics: Legion of Super-heroes, From Beyond the Unknown & Doctor Who




Its been a while since I've reviewed new comics and even in doing so I'm a little late as these arrived last week but I only just got around to reading them in the Park as it happens. Such a nice day!

First up is the latest issue of the Legion of Super-heroes as our heroes find themselves under siege by the Science Police and under threat from the President of the United Planets. We find out  little more about the origin of this strange version of legion reality and discover this President has self interest at heart. A politician who only gives a  shit about themselves. Who would have guessed.....the Legions in trouble already.

For me the Jury is very much still out on this Legion revamp. I'm really unsure about the numerous revisions and there are times the wordy script gets a bit too self indulgent for my taste. 

Rating. 2 Stars (Could do a lot better!)


FROM BEYOND THE UNKNOWN GIANT #1


Of course for me the problem about how the Legion really should be is illustrated in the From Beyond the Unknown 100 Page Giant #1. Here we see the Legion in action. That would also be an iteration that most of us can relate to. I don't expect the classic sixties version. That had it's day

This comic originally produced for Walmart is a joy to read. Three new stories and three great reprints. The Green Lanterns get new opponents in the form of The Gloom and frankly I had some sympathy for their actions. Some villains are too dangerous to keep alive. The Joker for example , crazy or not should have been executed years ago. So many innocent lives would have been saved.

There's also a nice feature utilising Kamandi one of my favourite Kirby creations from this time at DC. The Butler was a sad joy to read.

Reprints include Superman/Adam Strange and Batman/Metal Men teams ups from old. There's also a nice little Alan Moore Green Lantern story featuring Katma Tui.

A title that holds promise!

Rating: 5 Stars (Great value, great stories)




Finally I got to read the final issue of the 10th/13th Doctor Who Team Up featuring Martha, Graham and the gang vs the Autons and the weeping Angels.  

My only problem is this issue ends with a scene that says "To be continued" and i#5 is advertised. I've not seen that solicited anywhere so hopefully Titan will sort themselves out.

Rating: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment