Wednesday 5 August 2020

Undiscovered Country TPB (Vol 1/Image)









































Undiscovered Country Vol 1 TPB (Image Comics)

Scott Snyder & Charles Soule (w) Various (a)

When I first saw the first three pages of this series in Previews my interest did peak but for one reason or another this did not get added to my regular order so when the budget priced collected edition of the first six issues came along I decided to give Undiscovered Country a go.

This is a very different kind of story one I was not quite expecting and remain unsure of how this will pan out. It seems that the United States of America cut itself off from the rest of the world with a big wall built around it. Not even transmissions get out. The USA is completely cut off.

Then comes an invitation. 

The rest of the world is facing a quiet death from an unstoppable virus. the two main powers, one based on Asia and the other on Europe are maintaining an uneasy peace but this brings the two sides together for a mission.

They have been invited into the United States by it's President who offers them a cure for the virus. An invitation that they cannot refuse. But is all as it seems.

 

In the preview we saw the team heading towards the states and seeing the USA for the first time in an an age. They pass over the barrier without being destroyed. Then things go wrong.

The team get shot down and then "men" on strange beasts chase them down. Their protests that they were invited hold no interest to these nomads.

In many ways this series reminds me of European science fiction but I also couldn't help but think of the "Great Disaster" that led to the creation of Kamandi's world.

In terms of how I feel about the story all I can say the Jury is out and it's a while before I have to risk ordering the second volume as Undiscovered Country #9 has just been solicited. 

Rating: 2.5 Stars

1 comment: