Monday 21 September 2020

Marvel on TV: Jessica Jones (Season One)























Marvel has had tremendous success with it's movies and has built a coherent multi film universe allowing their various characters to interact.  So far Marvels performance on TV has been somewhat lacklustre and a lot of their out, infarct most does not appeal. I am no fan of Daredevil, Luke Cage and have never liked Iron Fist. The latter's comics were of no interest to me whatsoever and considering the range of characters they have available seems a poor choice.

I was however interested in Jessica Jones and had collected the full 28 issue run of Alias upon which the series is based. I only ever read the comic as it came out and am unlikely to re-read the series as I have so much more I want to read again. However I was inclined to see a TV adaptation.

















This was an interesting show though I have to say I though the producers over-indulged with the sex scenes which frankly didn't really add much to the story line. I'm no prude but this should have been less explicit and a bit more discreet. The story revolved around Jessica a retro created "superhero" who became a semi-alcoholic Private Investigator who had a run in with a mind controlling villain known as Kilgrave.

David Tennant's  portrayal as the totally deranged protagonist for the entire 13 episode was superb as was Krysten Ritter as Jessica but despite some exiting and interesting moments especially towards the end of the season I didn't really take to to the series and given that only the first season is the only one released on DVD it appears I may not be alone in my view.

Although there were two further seasons the show was cancelled as indeed so many of Marvel's shows. Jessica also appeared in a mini-series called the Defenders which bore no relation to team we all know and love in comics. This has never been released on DVD as far as I can tell.

Marvel are developing more programmes but for me it's DC that have won the television battle and I continue to be impressed by their output. Mind you if they ever release Runaways on DVD I'd give that a try. I collected the original comic book series that was based on and would have potential.

















Meanwhile I've moved on to Preacher Season Two now that's great TV.  Next up iZombie Season One!





No comments:

Post a Comment