Thursday 24 September 2020

Sentinel #3 (Sentinel Publishing)


 






















Sentinel #3

Alan Holloway (w) Paul Spence (a)

It's not often I look at unsolicited messages on Messenger most of them are from shysters or political opponents throwing insults and the occasional threat (usually anonymously) but I did read one from someone called Alan who alerted me to this comic and sent me a pdf to review. I don't like reading comics on-line (I'm the old fashioned type who prefers hard copy) so I contributed to their Kickstarter appeal to get a copy which dutifully arrived a couple of days back.











Alan told me me this was a "sort of tribute to Ace Trucking from the early days of 2000AD and he wasn't far wrong at all. The story A Fare To Remember does indeed remind me of that strip and the cartoony artwork is well suited to the absurd tale of warfare between two interplanetary cab firms. This isn't Space Cabby of fifties DC. This is modern aggressively amusing in yer face story telling.

I couldn't help thinking of Danny De Vito from Taxi when reading this story as two firms compete for the business of the local mobster. but something is amiss and it's not all Carry On either.
















This comic comes with two covers the main one at the top of the article and the other in the text. My view? Surprisingly entertaining and I'd actually like to see another one of these sometime. 

Oh and did I mention that this is in a 64 page "pocket picture library" format? It certainly should show DC Thomson that a market may exist for a science fiction companion to it's long running Commando title. There's plenty of British talent out there. This one is certainly professional.

Rating: 4 Stars (Recommended)

Sentinel can be found on Facebook: here

The Kickstarter for Sentinel #4 is: here





No comments:

Post a Comment