Sunday 21 February 2021

Blue Peter Tenth Book (BBC/1973)








































Having recently published a series of posts covering the seventies via the ITV magazine for children Look-in, the other main channels (there were only three back then) BBC 1 & BBC 2 got left out and there were a wide range of programmes that we watched as school children. Even though for me this was my penultimate year at Secondary School Blue Peter was one programme we watched at tea time as a family.

Like many children of my generation I had been a viewer of Blue Peter (which began in 1958 , the year after I was born) since as far back as I can remember. Christopher Tracey and Val Singleton along with John Noakes who joined later along with Peter Purvis and Lesley Judd are the presenters I recall the most as I gradually "grew out" of the programme.

This was a good educational show which allowed for viewer participation via all sorts of activities from naming the Blue Peter pets to collecting milk bottle tops (remember those!) or earning a Blue Peter badge for doing something useful or charitable 
















The annuals were called books for reasons only the BBC know perhaps the former term seemed a bit "low brow" for the producers and these were often in our Christmas stockings usually from one particular Aunt each year though there were no complaints from me.

These books covered a whole variety of activities that the presenters had engaged in over the year and had articles aimed at girls and boys. All you normally needed were some toilet roll inserts, sticky back plastic and some glue and they's add things to make some kind of useless present for a relative.

Blue Peter always had some great guests and as an avid Doctor Who fan I couldn't resist this clip from 1973 in which Jon Pertwee bring one of his "Whomobiles" into the studio.

Blue Peter still gets broadcast on the CBBC channel and I did tune in the other day thinking it was sad that this was no longer a programme on the main channel where the whole family could sit down and an d enjoy together. I suspect those days are long gone as viewing diversifies. Pity sometimes the old fashioned ways seem a little better!




Official Website:Blue Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment