Friday 12 February 2021

Doctor Who Magazine #561: A consumer complaint!


 






















The latest issue of the long running Doctor Who Magazine came out a few days ago but with no local shops carrying a copy I had to wait for a trip to Sainsbury's in Wandsworth to pick one up. I have never been a regular buyer but recently have been purchasing it a bit more reguarly but was a wee bit caught out by this "special edition".

The poly-bagged Magazine comes with a special edition of a Target Novel and wall poster of the Target Books collection. Not one I'd use but these freebies are not always useful. Except the expectation of a "freebie" was misplaced on this edition as the price rocketed from the usual £6.99 to £9.99 without any real indication on the cover and I only noticed when checking through the bill at home.

I doubt I was the only person caught out by that hidden price increase and my fault I suppose for not double checking but the price tag is so tiny it's easily missed. Not sure I would have purchased a it had I known especially sine the book is a bit of a rip off containing "extracts" from other Target novels. I'm not impressed with Pannini or Target in this blatant exploitation of the Doctor Who fanbase.

The magazine is up to it's usual high standards though the current comic strip doesn't interest me much but that does sometimes happen so I could live with that if were not for the feeling I will need to be more careful especially as household income has now been effected drastically by the pandemic. I doubt our family is alone in that either so in future I will be more reticent and a bit more careful when picking up a copy. 

A shame that I had to write what has turned out to be a consumer warning rather than a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment