Thursday 30 December 2021

Comics Review of 2021

 























A couple of weeks ago when I first thought of writing this review all sorts of positive developments were happening within the world of British comics which I have concentrated on for some time now. Rebellion had cut back it's "specials" because of the pandemic but there were more than a few including Black Beth (which deserves to be a monthly in my opinion and they announced that Monster Fun would return as a bi-monthly comic in April 2022!

The Treasury of British comics continued to publish a range of old British classics ranging from The Steel Claw to a third volume of the Trigan Empire and of course 2000AD & the Judge Dredd Megazine have not only weathered the crisis but developed a larger subscriber base. All good news for the reader as well as the publisher.























DC Thomson continued it's regular output of The Beano which also has seen a rise in circulation along with Commando the last of the pocket picture libraries still churning out eight comics a month, four new and four reprints with more than just World War Two stories branching into science fiction and even a little horror though that was indeed set in the war but hey, the Nazi's always get their comeuppance!

I just wish the Scottish publisher would consider publishing collected editions of it's huge back catalogue. There is plenty of worthy material to be had from the likes of Victor, Hotspur, Hornet, Wizard, Rover and the Crunch.






















The year also saw the return of Marvel UK with new comics from Panini. They revived Spider-Man, the X-Men and more general Marvel material in their "bookazines" and one more "generic title. This year marked a return to reading Marvel entirely due to their efforts. 

Whilst Spider-Man has seemingly found a format suitable for the mixed pockets of the various fans, the X-Men along with Marvel Essentials which featured Empyre (which was a worthy read) but mainly focused on the symbiotes which are of no interest to me were expensive "prestige" format comics. Now these werer actually good value in the amount of reprinted US material but at basically eight quid a pop plus distribution problems they have not been a success.























Sadly Panini ends the X-Men this month with Essentials ceasing in March. At least they seem to be finishing off story-lines before cancellation which shows both consideration and loyalty to their readers. Spider-Man is unaffected as is their sole DC venture Batman. The good value "bookazines" which have tied into movies and TV launches will continue. 

It is not known what replacements (if any) Panini are planning. Like others I hope for an X-Men comic and at least the return of The Avengers or the Hulk. 
























The Independent market has also improved it's output and one of the highlights of the year was The 77 Annual a professionally produced tome that was worthy of being in one's Christmas stocking! In addition smaller titles like Sentinel, Shaman Kane and Plainer Jane have continued to entertain. The impressive "fanzine" Comics Unlimited has also delivered for fans of the genre. If you haven't tried any of these titles please go to the sidebar and click on the links!




Finally there is this blog. Despite a drastic change in my personal circumstances I have continued to collect more comics and trades than I expected resulting in the most posts in one year that this blog has published since being launched in 2014.  Readership varies but averages higher than last year with spikes when I did some special themed events. 

The Look-In Seventies, Look-In Eighties and my Top Ten British Comics series did see increased interest which given I write for pleasure just wanting to share my thoughts on the hobby with others is nice, Of course being me I haven't shied from away controversy and remain open-minded, a little old fashioned and not impressed with "cancel culture" or the extreme "woke". It seems to me that the ghost of Mary Whitehouse has appeared on what used to be the "left" in politics but I digress. I do have a political blog and Facebook page where I discuss these issues.












Photo: By Published in an article from The Telegraph

Regardless I'm pleased with the way Howie's World of Comics has developed and hope to engage your interest in the coming year. Probably more about back issues than new stuff though I will try to continue to support British comics, especially the Independent sector where I can. There will always be posts on DC, Marvel, Archie, Dynamite and other US publishers as I love so many of their characters. 

I also hope to expand beyond the comics world  which at the moment is mostly around Doctor Who or Gerry Anderson audios.  I've plenty of ideas and hope to see you coming back in the New Year. 

Happy New Year to all my readers!

Shalom Aleichem,

Howie




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your great reporting of everything to do with UK comics in 2021, Howie.
    Shalom Aleichem

    ReplyDelete