Tuesday 21 December 2021

The Hotspur Christmas issue 1966 (DC Thomson)

 

























Given the huge variety of comics, both British and America we had as kids in the sixties and the lack of pocket money choices had to be made. There were three "boys picture papers" that I recall from DC Thomson. The Hotspu,r The Hornet and The Victor. Of the three I tended to pick up The Victor on occasion and don't recall being that enamoured with the content of Hotspur.

The Victor had a "true" war story on it's front cover each week whilst The Hotspur went for westerns and possibly given my lack of interest in the genre as I grew older that was probably a reason behind my choic. This edition is fairly typical of the period. I only ever had the one annual which probably had the least appropriate cover for a Christmas edition I remember!























There were a number of sports stories which were part of the British anthology line up but never appealed to me and even today I still skip over them. Never been a sports enthusiast of any type. Much more interesting was Tooth and Claw Guard the Flag set in the Napoleonic wars. There was the inevitable western in this case Rudd of the Rodeo and more interestingly a Mountie story you could help work out yourself by finding the clues in the form of Redcoat Rogers.


I have to say having gone through this issue i can see why The Hotspur at least during this period was smething I was that interested in but later issues especially with the introduction of The Cobra did change the dynamic but this comic like most of DC Thomson's adventure output remained a wee bit old fashioned compared to IPC/Fleetway.




No comments:

Post a Comment