Monday 27 December 2021

X-Men Legends Vol 1 (Marvel)

 























Having returned to reading the X-Men mainly via their British publisher, Panini I had asked a question on a Facebook group as to how I could catch up with so much of the characters history and someone suggested the limited-series X-Men Legends that was then being published. Since my local comic shop stopped doing new comics even by mail order I tend to only buy trades and so ordered the first volume via Amazon which arrived yesterday.

This is a nice little volume collecting six issues of the series and contained three stories which were originally published in two monthly instalment. At first I was puzzled as to how this would help me gain a wider picture of the X-Men's past history but as I read on a picture did begin to emerge.

























The first rather frantic story featured the appearance of another Summers "brother". I already knew about Vulcan from a more recent trade that I read and was interested to see the appearance of many cosmic characters in The Burning Blood. Renegades from the Shi'ar Empire, Corsair and his Starjammers plus a surprise ending. 











The second adventure saw Apocalypse team up with some mad anti-Mutant bigot Hodge who loses his head literally in this story set on a spaceship that is sentient and has a mission of its own. There's a mutant baby and at least a lot of familiar faces in this story Transformations which also features Angel with mechanical wings. 


Last but by from the least is my favourite of the three as a mutant group of freedom fighters or terrorists from Latveria take over their country's Embassy in DC. Messing with Doc Doom ain't the best of ideas even on Christmas Eve which we learn is not celebrated in Latveria and with both the Avengers and FF unavailable who do you call? Seems X-Force drew the short straw as a Congressional hearing is told at the beginning.
























I had no idea who Guido was or what happened to him. All a bit "nineties" I suppose but with Multiple Man in tow they provide a distraction for the main event or rather the entry of the main man. This feature does have it's moments and I'm not sure I'd like to even be a fly on the wall in that hospital room but no spoilers from me.

This new release is well worth picking up and hopefully volume two will be swinging my way in due course!

Rating: 5 Stars (Recommended)

No comments:

Post a Comment