Wednesday 10 March 2021

A "Look-in" to the Eighties: 1988








































1988: The first Red Nose Day takes place, GCSE exams begin, the Church of England announces the ordination of women priests will start in 1992, throughout the year the war with the terrorist IRA continues both at home and abroad as IRA terrorists are shot in Gibraltar and British soldiers murdered in Netherlands. Ian Paisley describes the Pope as the "anti-Christ.

Pubs are now allowed to open all day, Edwina Currie becomes the first Minister to resign for telling the truth about salmonella in eggs, Roald Dahl's Matilda and Steven Hawkings Brief History of Time are published.

Kylie Minogue has four number ones with I Should Be So Lucky, The Loco-motion, Je Ne Sais Pas Porquoi and Got to be Certain. Bros have three number one's with I Owe You Nothing, Drop The Boy and When Will I Be Famous. Sabrina hits the top spot with Boys. Kylie's self titled first album hits the top spot as does Push by Bros. Belinda Carlisle takes the top spot with her album Heaven & Earth.

I was going to post Sabrina's original video which I remember seeing on TV but because a nipple shows it's been age restricted and can only be seen on You Tube but I'm actually a big Kylie fan so here's the lady herself in a much more family friendly video.




First up in Look-in is a strip based on the children's programme 7T3 another which I'd never heard of so here's a clip.




The featured band in this issue was 5-Star of which I was never particularly a fan but they were widely played on the radio and in the clubs . This was the era of the 12" remix. When this single was released 5-Star were just returning from a break because of falling record sales. They had a good run between 1985 and 1987 but by the end of this year the band were out of the Top 40 for good. 




The back page features an "Information file" on Dolph Lungren as HE-Man in Masters of the Universe which didn't do too well at the cinema but I really liked it but then I never really grew up....I mean what's the point of getting old if you can't be childish from time to time? 

So here to finish is a clip from the movie. Yes I know it was released in 1987 but he's in this issue and that's that before anyone posts a comment on Facebook!





And finally some comics we were reading (or should have been)













































___________________________

Thank you to everyone who has joined me not just in this look-in to the Eighties but those who followed the original Seventies series which inspired these posts! I hope you return to this blog for a more nostalgia with British American comics, TV, film and more!

Shalom Aleichem for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment