Wednesday 24 March 2021

Western Noir (Volume One) (Accent UK)


 






















Dave West (w) Gary Crutchley (a)

It's not often I take interest in or would even like "westerns" these days. As much as I liked them as a child growing up I grew out of them especially as I began to feel sympathy for the Indians and most of the films became a bit repetitive. There always have been the odd exception and although I never collected western comics as such the odd issue of Bat Lash and Jonah Hex found their way into my hands over the years.

In particular I enjoyed the "New 52" version of Jonah Hex and his entry to modern world. Sadly since then nothing from the genre has attracted me except the re-run of the The Alamo with John Wayne and company though whether it's a "western" in the true sense of the word is debatable.



However my recent foray into the world of Kickstarter projects brought Western Noir to my attention and despite it being one of the more expensive items I took a risk and although somewhat late in arriving the volume was certainly well worth the wait.

Western Noir tells the tale of Josiah Black a former lawman turned drifter following the murder of his wife and child. He gets recruited to do a job for a lady in distress and in the process takes down a killer who is hunting for supernatural threats to man. For atonement he dons the goggles necessary to see through their disguises and works for the dead mans employer.

A series of adventures takes place but is everything as it seems?

An excellent book with good art, sold story telling and scripting. The author promises that Josiah Black will return. I certainly hope so.

Rating 5 Stars plus (Highly Recommended)

No comments:

Post a Comment