Saturday 6 March 2021

Infinite Frontier #0 (DC/Out Now)

 























When my local comic shop ended selling new comics I had decided to simply purchase the occasional collected edition  and have purchased more than a few in recent months with some already on pre-order. At the same time I had already stopped buying into not just marvel comics but the DC Universe (my favourite of the two) because of their constant cross-overs and a dislike for the Metal event in particular.

However despite my misgivings I couldn't resist ordering this introduction to the revamped and somewhat expanded DC Universe. The opening pages show how much I am out of touch with what is going on because with the exception of the Batman sequence in Arkham which seems to arise from the recent Joker War Saga which I had recently read as a hardback collection the rest was a complete mystery.

Not only am I unfamiliar with the ending of the "Metal Event" I still haven't got around to reading the two-volume Doomsday Clock  books sitting in my pile. So to run through some observations the former seems to have led to the destruction of the "52 Universes" and led to recreation of the Multiverse in a complete reversal of Crisis On Infinite Earths back in the eighties.
























Wonder Woman has reached near "God-like" status which appears to be above the level of an Olympian God of War last time I read her book and is taken by The Spectre through a series of short stories featuring her friends from Superman, via Batman, the Flash Titans, Lanterns and more to assure her that all is well for her to take her place as a member of The Quintessence.

It allows DC to preview many of their upcoming titles and story-lines in an interesting fashion.  Wonder Woman has reservations about leaving the worldly plane due to a potential threat and of course it will come as no surprise to readers that she chooses not to. Good job since the arrogance of the gods leaves them vulnerable to the coming threat... from "Darkside" which given all the on-line previews and chatter will be no surprise either.

Except this time he's more powerful and bad-ass than ever.

To be continued in Infinite Frontier #1 in July.

I grabbed a copy via forbiddenplanet.com Mail Order and have already pre-ordered some DC one-shots in May. Sigh I'm addicted to comics for life. It will just have to be less than before. 

Rating: 5 Stars Plus (Essential Reading)



No comments:

Post a Comment