Tuesday 12 February 2019

The Incredible Hulk Presents #1 (Marvel UK/1989)



The third and much shorter lived of the three weekly Hulk titles published by Marvel UK was released in October 1989. Blink and you'll have missed it since it sadly lasted just 12 issues.

Other than old Green-skin himself this comic features Action Force (nope never heard or read it before, assume some toy line), an excellent Doctor Who strip featuring the seventh Doctor and  Indiana Jones in The Last Crusade.

A rather eclectic mixture I thought. It didn't catch on though. Sign of the times or bad choice of mix? Guess we'll never know. This comic didn't make the end of the year it started in out.

Still my copy had the free gift attached. A Hulk Tattoo! No I'm not going to try it out!

 


5 comments:

  1. Happy memories, but it's actually (I think) the *third* Marvel UK Hulk title. You're possibly forgetting 'The Incredible Hulk!'- 27 issues from 1982.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steev. I left out the word "weeklies" and have adjusted the post to reflect my original intent. Someone on Facbook also counted the Pocket Book series, making it four!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The management plan for this was that the Doctor Who strips would run in Doctor Who Magazine and save money by not originating a Who strip for DWM. As the editor of DWM I went a bit mental at this idea as great though they were, the Who strips for Hulk Presents were written for a younger audience, and the plan was dropped, although "Doctor Conkeror", beautifully drawn by Mike Collins from a script by Ian Rimmer, did make it into DWM Issue 162 after "Hulk Presents" was cancelled. Simon Furman's contribution to the Hulk Who strips famously include a Doctor as a woman...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always curious what companies choose to re-print. Was there something noteable about those specific stories?

    I've been able to find what Indiana Jones and Action Force/G.I. Joe stories were re-printed, but can you help me figure out what Hulk stories were reprinted? I think it starts with Hulk 133: Day of Thunder, Night of Death from nearly 20 years earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have the one issue currently an no plans to buy more. One of those covers with the return of The Metal Master is from the black & white Hulk US comic which is actually worth collecting. Was less keen on the colour transformation. Sorry I am unable to assist further.

      Delete