Sunday 4 April 2021

Magpie Annual 1974 (World Distributors)




Back in the day I seem to recall one was either a Blue Peter viewer of a Magpie fan. My family always watched Blue Peter and it was only occasionally that I got a chance to see ITV's shorter lived but well loved rival. Certainly I was happy if I was able to see both but all children's TV was crammed into two channels being broadcast at the some time during the week and video recorders were the stuff of Tomorrows World another old long lost TV Favourite.

Magpie ran from 1968 to 1980 and the presenters I always associate with the programme are Mick Robertson, Susan Stranks and Doug Rae who are all featured on the cover of the 1974 annual. This magazine programme had a similar format to the more successful (and still running) Blue Peter. The annuals reflect this with the producers seeking to educate and entertain us youn'uns at the same time.

The theme tune was based on a nursery rhyme..about Magpie's:

One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret,
Never to be told.



The Magpie Annual ran from 1970 until 1977 when it changed it's title to become the Magpie Book for the last three editions. In total there are twelve of these to collect though just the one will do me.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment