Friday 16 April 2021

Marvel Universe: X-Men #1 (Panini)

 
























It's been a long time since I've read an X-Men comic. I read a lot of the early issues via reprints in Fantastic and Marvel UK editions plus more than a few of the Claremont/Byrne run that made the team famous but after returning from my break in the nineties to comic collecting I found that it was impossible to keep up with all the changes and the huge number of X-titles on the market.

There was an exception I did read the House of M mini-series some years back and did try out Grant Morrison's run but frankly nether raised my interest particularly. However with Panini slowly releasing a new wave of Marvel UK titles and being entertained by the new Spider-Man comic I thought I'd give this a try.

The two most noticeable things about Marvel Universe: X-Men is the size and price. It contains the page count of five US comic-books for a price of £7.99 which seems expensive but is good value. Given the general price of magazines these days it's not unreasonable but may be out of the range of younger readers.
























Then there's the story. I entered a world almost unfamiliar to me. Charles Xavier seems somewhat different and I see Jean grey is alive again. Mutants are on the ascendancy and they want their nation Krakoa which seems to be sentient. Some mutants now live in colonies in outer space, mostly within the Shi'ar Empire

The story also takes place across a wide time-line which requires a re-reading for those like me whose knowledge of the X-Men is somewhat limited. This first issue with well over 100 pages reprints the oversized issues of House Of X #1 and Powers Of X #1 plus House of X #2.
























I found this difficult to rate but for value it gets a 5 Star Rating. Trouble is I'm really not sold on the story-line which relies on the reader having fairly up to date knowledge of what's been going on amongst Marvel's mutants but has good art work and seriously have to consider whether to invest in this series given financial constraints.

Overall Rating: 3.5 Stars (X-Men fans will enjoy but difficult for the casual reader)

No comments:

Post a Comment