Saturday 3 April 2021

The Amazing Spider-Man #1 (Panini)























It's been a while since I read any Spider-Man comics except for the odd old Marvel UK black & White back issue or annual as generally the character is not high on my reading list. I'm also completely baffled by the proliferation of spider-related comics featuring such things as Spider -Gwen. Not a clue about that or what's up in Peter Parker's world these days.
























When I was a child back in the sixties I was a fan of the Lee-Ditko Spider Man which I read through a variety of comics including Marvel Tales, Pow! and the odd Alan Class edition. Otherwise I mostly stuck to Marvel Team-Up not because of Spidey but mainly because of all the wide variety of  other denizens of the MU that appeared with him.

The last"new" story I read was some years back when I randomly picked up a hardback edition of The Other which I probably will get around tore-reading one of these days.

























That aside the relaunching of Panini's titles does give me an opportunity to dip into a  more economically friendly way of catching with Marvel. Certainly at £2.99 for an edition that contains two Marvel comics is good value compared to imports and the fact it was on the racks in Sainsbury's when I went shopping made me chance a copy.

There was much more familiar to me than  realised with Kraven the Hunter, Scorpion and Rhino plus the Lizard's son. It seems "Flash" is dead and Petey seems to still be involved with Mary-Jane. I remember being pissed off with Peter Parker revealing his identity to world in Civil War and I understand that was resolved via some deal with Mephisto. Open to correction if that's wrong.

"The Hunt" is on and Kraven is using Arcade (a villain from the X-Men milieu I believe) is behind a whole series of events. Plus Black Cat's around. I admit to being entertained by the first issue and if I see the next issue I will pick it up and look out for the more pricey new X-Men title that Panini are launching in a couple of weeks. 

Rating 3 Stars (Good value, entertaining read)



No comments:

Post a Comment