Thursday 1 April 2021

Radio 1 Annual 1969 (City Magazines)








































Radio One was launched in 1967 to compete with the pirate radio stations  playing popular or pop music that had previously been featured on BBC Light radio which became Radio 2. This was a success from the very beginning and the BBC managed to obtain the services of so many DJ's who had cut their teeth so to speak with the pirates.

Tony Blackburn, Stuart Henry, Rosko, Alan Freeman, Kenny Everett, Jimmy Young and so many more names that will remain forever part of radio history and certainly helped form this young child's interests in music though I was also influenced in the early seventies by Radio Luxembourg with Kid Jenson's Rock programme and Bob Harris on the old grey Whistle Test.

I would have been 12 when this annual was published and it probably wouldn't have been on my "wants" list from Santa even if I did listen to Radio One on my small transistor radio in my room and sometimes under the bed-sheets as I'm sure many of my peer group would have done.



One of my favourite DJ's was Alan Freeman who did the Chart Show on a Sunday which was essential listening especially as I gt a bit older. The music scene was gradually morphing from the flowery and tie and jacket bands to the stuff I ended up buying in the seventies which for me was a mix of Prog Rock & Glam Rock!

Some of the groups and stars back then are still well known today like Lulu, Tom Jones and Roger Daltry but I remain puzzled as to the presence of Sue Nichols (Audrey in Corrie). There's also contributions from the late stars like Bob Monkhouse, Harry Secombe & Morcombe and Wise!



My copy was certainly well appreciated by it's original owner one Janet Robinson of Class 4/2 who has made annotations throughout informing me who was married or dating who. Ed "Stewpot" Stewart was going out with Eve Graham of the New Seekers apparently.

There's so much I remember and some things I don't. There's an article on The Peddlers who I don't remember at all, though I do remember Muriel Young. There is even a young John Peel present in this volume which I thought was a great buy.



As far as I'm aware this was the only one of it's kind though there is a companion Tony Blackburn Pop Special from the same year! Sadly I no longer listen to this station having dismissed modern pop music and returned to Radio Caroline on DAB along with Planet Rock which broadcasts the syndicated Alice Cooper Show.

However I will always have fond memories of Radio One up until the eighties when radio expanded and MTV appeared on the scene. As for me I still listen to Prog Rock, Heavy Metal plus some of the "golden oldies" on the wireless.





No comments:

Post a Comment