Wednesday 7 April 2021

Whizzer and Chips Annual 1980 (Fleetway)

 
























One of my favourite comics was Whizzer and Chips, two comics published as one who had a competion between them claiming to be better than the other. The reader was invited to take sides. Of course by 1979 when this annual came out I was no longer reading the comic and was concentrating on our American rivals.

Only as I have grown a lot older have I begun to appreciate the loss of the old British comics industry. There's plenty of pre-school comics with lots of wasteful plastic things bagged with them but only a handful of the comics for older readers such as the Beano, Commando, The Pheonix  and 2000AD along with the new more adult Shift! comic there isn't much left.

Marvel reprint titles remain though courtesy of Italian publishers Pannini who are bringing their titles back shortly including one DC title Batman!

























Comics like Whizzer &Chips had great cartoon strips such as Joker, Sid's Snake, Lazy Bones, Horace and so many more that used to raise a chuckle. Of course some of the humour is no longer fit in this world of wokeness being foisted upon us including the Meccano spanking machine concocted by Lazy Bone's Dad!. Corporal punishment is a thing of the past. Not that it ever stopped Dennis or the others.

I started reading Whizzer & Chips on it's launch in 1969 and stuck with it through my school years but quietly changed my reading habits. I never had an Annual though so this was a joy to read.


The first Annual (1971)



No comments:

Post a Comment