Monday 17 May 2021

Comics Unlimited #6 (Out Now)


 






















The latest issue of the British journal Comics Unlimited has just been published and contains a huge variety of articles covering both the American and British markets.  It's good to see this magazine thriving at a time when the British comics industry is going through a bit of a revival. In addition to the comics  like 2000AD , Judge Dredd Megazine and Commando these have been joined by Shift and Panini's Marvel UK titles and a Batman one from DC.

The Independent scene is likewise healthy and growing with the likes of The 77, Blazer, Sentinel and Plainer Jane. There's more out there so keep an eye out for this ever growing range.

The huge range of features starts with a look at the bizarre content of Lois Lane Superman's Girlfriend #106 where she turns black. I'm not sure how this would be received these days. It may be welcomed or condemned. Frankly I've no idea how the protest community worldview this but to my generation it was an interesting story. I'll certainly pick up a copy if I see one.
























There's an interview with Jim Zub the current writer on Marvel's Conan series. I'm a big fan of the Cimmerian but no longer collect this title. Don Lawrence's work on The Trigan Empire, Eric The Viking and more. His art is superb and The Trigan Empire probably one of the greatest British comic strips of all time is currently being reprinted by Rebellion as part of their Treasury of British Comics series.
























The ever popular Steel Claw from the Valiant comic gets a feature. Again this is now being reprinted though I have the first stories in a volume published by Titan some years back but will catch up with Rebellions second volume when released some time in the future.
























One of the more obscure comics covered is Strangehaven of which I did pick up one collected volume. Like so many comics it was never finished but the author Steve Lanning says the creator plans to return with part four. Good luck with that. I'm sure hardcore fans will like that but for me far too late I'm afraid.

























Other features switch between Marvel and DC as the "camp" Batman era get's examined as does the work of Steve Gerber. The history of the defender continues but of real interest to me was the article The Nightmare Of Non-Distribution which effected so many of us though moving to London where there were comic shops in the late seventies helped me avoid the problem.


There's plenty more to read in this bumper 100 page journal including articles on comics and characters I am not familiar with like Lady Satan, which I have just ordered through the publisher and will review when published! It's important that such material is covered as our hobby has seen so many comics produced over the years and even old gits like me haven't been able to keep up with it all.

Rating: 5 Stars (Highly Recommended)

Available from Amazon along with all back issues and the Golden age special.

No comments:

Post a Comment