Sunday 16 May 2021

The 77 #5 (Out Now!)
























The latest issue of the British comics anthology The 77 arrived on Saturday and frankly was a damned good read. Given this comic is produced by non-professionals the standard of the latest issue has really improved. I've always been impressed by the effort put into this project and have always ignored any criticisms I might make of a mainstream publisher because I have high hopes for The 77 which seem to have finally been fulfilled!

With a terrific wrap-around variant cover the content also includes three new stories, Extinction 2040 which seems to be a take on an Apocalypse caused by identity conflict. I don't really want to  go into politics but the demise of the West through this kind of crap seems so real. Regardless of all that this story by Paul Goodenough has excellent art from Ian Stopforth. I'm intrigued as to where this will lead!













In the tradition of all those short mystery/sci-fi tales we used to read in comics like Strange Adventures or Mystery In Space comes I know the Secret of the Alien. Great stuff. Reminded me of this book I purchased years ago that tried to debunk all these weird and wonderful unexplained things that go on in this world. It was fine until I got to Chapter 7 & and it started with the words "When I was kidnapped by aliens...." Thrown straight into the recycling bin never to be seen again.

The final new feature is Red by Day, Black By Night which tells the tale of an alternate Britain ruling an Empire as the result of a portal. There be Dwarfs and other creatures in this promising story by Jo Heely and Rupert Lewis Jones.















The rest of the comic continues the existing features. Sadly this is the last part of Penny Pentagram who deserves a regular comic of her own! Hopefully Penny will return. Martian Law and Trackless Depths also comes to an end, but most intriguing is that The Cell has finally taken off and has garnered my full attention at last.

Rating 5 Stars (Highly Recommended)

Website: the77comic.bigcartel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment