Tuesday 18 May 2021

Marvel Universe: X-Men #2 (Panini) plus DC: Batman #1 (Panini) Out Now!

 























When I saw the latest issue of the revived X-Men series in Sainsbury's I hesitated before picking it up as the first issue was OK but didn't exactly draw me in but I am gad I decide to do so as the second issue does help me the see the much changed world of Marvel's Mutants a little more clearly.


More to the point the actual story started to make a bit more sense as well. My remaining problem is requiring an "idiots guide" to the newer mutants with whom I remain unfamiliar. However I have to say Panini are doing a very good job with this comic and their other titles following the hiatus caused by the Pandemic.

This is may seem an expensive comic at £7.50 a pop but since it contains the content of four American editions which would retail at £3.60 without a discount there is a major saving. What's more the story is from two different X-Men titles and published in the right order.

As for the story this remains a major science fiction epic. It's a very complex tale that spans from the present to what I would surmise are possible futures. Nothing is ever set in the Marvel Universe which neatly brings me to my point which is that like the films the X-Men seem to exist outside the mainstream despite reference to SHIELD, AIM or HYDRA.

The X-Men does come over as detached from the MU something I haven't seen elsewhere except perhaps in Kirby's Eternals. Personally I was opposed to the integration of the Celestials into Marvel continuity however that did work out in the end.

In this issue we see the origin of the Professor X/Magneto alliance and a mission to the Sun to stop a potential menace from being treated but is this a suicide mission from which none will return? Do pick up a copy!
























Also on the shelves was the first issue of the new Batman comic from Panini as Titan has given up on the DC franchise which is a pity. Like The Amazing Spider-Man this is a much more affordable title at just £2.99 for the equivalent of two US comics.

The only reason I haven't picked it up is that one of the story lines is Batman: Universe which I recently purchased in a collected hardback edition. When that's finished I'll probably try it providing they don't use another story I already have. However if you've not read that grab a copy It's a great story!

Ratings: X-Men - 4 Stars. 

Batman: (Unrated due to non purchase)

No comments:

Post a Comment