Monday 24 May 2021

Whoopee and Cheeky (IPC/1981)

 























By the time comics like Whoopee and Cheeky had come along I had long passed on this sort of humour comic though still retained fond memories of the Beano, Wham! and Smash! amongst others. It's only in later life I even became aware of either comic and this is only the second copy I've ever read. The reason I picked this up was a reference to a character from Cheeky who probably wouldn't be acceptable these days.

This was one of a couple of copies I found at the recent London Comics Mart so I thought I'd give it a try along with another humour title that I was unfamiliar with and will review at a later date. I have to say I rather liked it and if and when the opportunity arises to pick up copies of either comic I will certainly do so.
























Whoopee was a weekly humour title launched by IPC in 1974 (the year I left school) and lasted for some 572 issues plus Summer Specials and Annuals until it's demise in 1985 when it was merged with the more familiar Whizzer & Chips. During it's lifetime Whoppee absorbed three other IPC titles Shiver & Shake, Cheeky and Wow.

The front page feature during this period was Smiler typical fare for this kind of title plus Sweeny Toddler. Toy Boy Stage School, Lolly Pop and the character I wanted to actually see Mustapha Million. The content is pretty tame childish humour with no connotations  about race other than the name assuming all Arabs were rich I suppose. Wouldn't be published today though. 

Funnily enough a similar strip immediately followed The Bumpkin Billionaires. I was also amused to see the ever popular Frankie Stein also appear in these pages!

I must admit as I enter my second or third childhood (depending on which of my ex-missus) you talk to I rather liked this comic!

No comments:

Post a Comment