Wednesday 29 December 2021

Infinity Countdown & Infinity War (Marvel/2018)

 























Continuing with my wish to "catch up" with the goings on in the Marvel Universe I picked up Infinity Wars but immediately noticed I needed to read what had come before as is the way with these crossovers. Infinity Countdown was then added to the pile and I finally got around to reading over Christmas.

Once again the Infinity Stones are being fought over though something about them has changed and although Warlock kicks off the adventure as would be expected given his relationship with the Soul Gem, it was interesting seeing Loki at the centre of this story along with a Librarian from Omnipotence City. The latter was interesting as I hadn't come across this before. Obviously more for me to "discover" as I continue my journey.















I have read the original three stories about the Infinity Stones and the first few issues of Warlock and the Infinity Watch and at least a couple more  over the years but Infinity Wars takes place across the multiverse and we meet many Loki's and see the return of Moondragon and her lover Phyla.

























The Guardians of the Galaxy also take a central role and Groot has a surprising character development. Still Thanos is back for a while and Gamora exacts a revenge as the war begins. One of the problems with these multi-title crossover epics is that some of the action takes place off the page and although these are available in trades as the in-house advertising in the Trade shows it would make reading even more complicated reading.

There's enough especially in Infinity Countdown the prequel to keep the reader informed and I'm not convinced that buying volumes of Sleepwalker or Darkhawk (neither of whom I have ever read) would particularly add anything to the main feature.

All that said I quite enjoyed the journey and would happily re-read this again in the not too distant future. Well worth grabbing both trades.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment