Thursday 9 December 2021

Marvel Universe: X-Men #9 (Panini)

 























The latest issue of Panini's revived X-Men title for the British market introduces the reader to the latest series of the New Mutants a team and comic that I have not taken much notice of over the years having read just three issues well over a decade ago. I wasn't impressed then and frankly my opinion hasn't changed.

Other than the sister of Colossus, Magik I had no idea who the characters were or what powers they had or indeed why Panini chose to weave this story into this title. So far I've enjoyed the ride even though the main X-Men story has seemingly taken a back seat. I know there's lots more to come and the odd diversion especially into Excalibur or The Marauders was fun but this lot left me cold.



























I was also taken aback by the appearance of Corsair who I thought I saw die in some trade paperback I read recently but then death doesn't mean anything at all in the comic world, especially the X-Men any more. They all come back eventually. Even Bucky the one revival I will never forgive Marvel for.

So the kids get dumped on a Shi'ar space jail by Corsair and get into trouble and are "helped" by some other characters I also have no knowledge of. When Wanda screamed "Too many mutants" I know how she felt. I got lost and ended up not caring about the fate of these kids after forty odd pages.





























Next up was the continuation of X-Force which does tie in a little more directly to the main X-Men story and we see how cruel mankind can be even to their own kind let alone what they plan to do to mutants. I'm not sure "enjoyable" is the right word to use about this brutal story. It does however rescue this comic and hopefully though the New Mutants are due to return next issue we won't have to put up them too long. Panini please take note.

Rating: 2.5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment