Saturday 30 March 2019

Detective Comics #1000: Review and a Gallery!



Detective Comics #1000 (DC)

Various (w) & (a)

The comic from which DC gets it's name is their second title to reach the magic number one thousand having been preceded by Action Comics. Detective Comics did start earlier than Action Comics but various publishing schedules meant that the latter got behind. And so here we are with a 96 page special in a prestige format with a luscious wraparound cover by Jim Lee.

Oh yes and there are several "through the decades" variant covers for the hard core collector though one has always been enough for me. This is the best anyway. I love Jim Lee's art.

There are a number of stories two of which look of interest to the future including the first Batman's Longest Case which without any spoilers proves to be a nice opener. The other and more immediate worry for the future is the introduction of the psychotic Arkham Knight. at the end of the book.

Of course there's a few stories in between which are of varying interest (to me anyway. My favourite of these is I know by Brian Michael Bendis with art from Alex Maleev which sees a retired and disabled Bruce Wayne meet up with the Penguin. The most amusing feature is The Legend of Knute Brody. Both are highly recommended.

Worth picking up even if one or two of the short stories didn't quite hit it with me but then I stopped buying Batman titles a while back due to to the endless and expensive crossovers and I wasn't over-enamoured with the Court of the Owls saga either, reboot or no reboot we could have done without this particular revisionism.

Still that's my gripe out of the way and I have ordered Batman and the Outsiders which is finally seeing the light of day.

Worth picking up.

Rating: 4 Stars

 





 



 





 

 

 



 

2 comments:

  1. ...quite an achievement ...wonder if anyone has all 1000 issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd have to either bloody rich or lucky given the $2m plus cost of Detective Comics #27 where batman first appears. I'm sure #38 ain't cheap either give it's the first Robin.

      Delete