Friday 4 June 2021

The Dandy Summer Special 2021


 






















Although The Dandy is no longer published DC Thomson still do both Annuals and Summer specials of this iconic British comic. I chose to pick this up rather than The Beano Summer Special for two simple reason. Firstly I can't afford both and secondly The Dandy contains reprints of older strips which are more to my taste than the modern fare offered by The Beano.

There's a whole new charming adventure to kick off the Special with Korky the Cat and his chums in Dandy Town but then it's over to the classic stories. Dirty Dick, Desperate Dan, Smasher, Bully Beef and Chips, Jonah and Dinah Mo amongst others all bring back memories of my childhood. I must admit I had all but forgotten about Greedy Pigg!













The Summer Specials I used to get in my childhood were huge over-sized editions which probably are not suitable for today's market. Worth picking up a copy of them if you see one of sale but in good nick they are not cheap. I purchased one whilst still working some years back and it set me back thirty quid for a sixties copy I had as a child!
























This is nicely produced magazine sized comic suitable for kids of all ages. I'm sure today's children will enjoy The Beano as well but of the two I chose The Dandy and enjoyed every minute. Something to pik up whilst out shopping tomorrow boys and girls!

























I might also try out the forthcoming Dandy Annual which is due out in August which is somewhat early i would have thought even though they were published earlier than most of us remember as these things were generally Christmas presents. Still look out for both The Dandy and Beano annuals in a couple of months!

I'm sure they used to be called "Books" not annuals but I'm old.......

No comments:

Post a Comment